Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Reflections on Election Night

It's Election Night 2014, and millions of my fellow American citizens are voting. I won't be joining them. I don't vote anymore.

I know that it's my duty to vote. And I know that we are blessed in this country to have the opportunity to vote. That democracy only works when the citizens speak their will at the polls. I still believe in democracy, that it's the best form of government that man has so far devised, and perhaps ever will devise. But lately, the very idea of voting in America turns my stomach.

The US Federal Government is an abomination. It is a vile and shameful thing, and I detest it. It epitomises the very worst in human nature. Greed. Power. Ego. Injustice. Deceit. And I will not be a part of it any longer.

I don't complain about how thing are going in this country anymore, either, for I know that this ship is on its own course now, the captain and crew having some time ago left their positions in order to meet with lobbyists and capitalists and other powerful and influential people. And although the multitude of passengers sense that something is amiss because the vessel is listing so badly, the officers on board remain confident that between them all, they will always remain in control, each taking their turn as captain or commander or lieutenant or midshipman with each passing election. And so it is tonight, when the passengers are allowed to cast their votes, and the crew is obliged to switch their hats and uniforms in accordance before returning to their politics. But the ship! Is anybody tending to the ship!

I will always obey the laws of this land, and respect the authority of it's appointed agents, and do my best to be a good citizen in other ways. But I will not sanction this abhorrent government by casting even one single vote in the affirmative, for I strongly disagree with it all. I loathe it's very nature now, and I cannot find even a remnant of anything holy or righteous anywhere in it.

This government only affects me in as much as I let it, so I don't let it. This government is dead to me now, so no, I won't be voting. But to my fellow citizens who still believe in such things: Here's to your candidate winning the election and fixing things up! Good luck! In the meantime, I'll be in my cabin, enjoying what's left of the cruise (and perhaps fashioning a life boat).

7 comments:

  1. Sadly I totally see your point(s). Its the lesser of two evils to me, would love to be passionate about a candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I can't bring myself to vote for an evil like that. It's just not in me anymore and I can't be a part of it. I'd rather abstain and remove myself complete. If I voted for an evil, I'd feel like I was somehow condoning it all.

      Delete
  2. I'm sad, David. If the ship sinks it is because of decisions like yours. You either vote for the lesser of the evils or be a candidate. Hiding does no one any good, least of all you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there may be a third alternative: I can be a political activist and try to change things from the outside. I just don't think this thing can be fixed through voting because no matter how high the turn-out, either the Republican or the Democrat will be elected, and the ship will continue on its merry way. So I suppose we just disagree, Scout.

      Delete
  3. David, there was a time when I would have agreed with Scout, but no longer. I have missed only one Presidential election since I got old enough to vote--I was out of state and did not bother to vote absentee. I did not vote on November 4 and don't know if I will bother to ever again. How does voting for the lesser of two evils do anything other than prolong only slightly the going over the precipice?
    Ronnie Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've encountered someone who feels the same way that I do in this -- and who is so well able to verbalize those feelings.

    I found your blog 2 days ago & am always grateful to find records of people like you, who are willing to share the trials & successes upon their journey to less-is-more.

    *Thank you*

    ReplyDelete