Thursday, November 6, 2014

New Propane Heater

I'm still experimenting with different space heaters to heat my tent in Autumn. The wood stove is just too hot to fire up until December, so I need a space heater to get me through October and November.

My first two Winters, I used a kerosene space heater. Kerosene heat is very economical and puts out about 22K BTUs, which is more than enough for my needs. But while kerosene heat has some nice advantages, I just didn't like the mess and the fumes, so last year I switched to propane. I chose a Mr. Heater MH15T tank-top heater, which puts out about 15K BTUs. The tank-top heater was also very economical, provided plenty of heat, was very convenient, and gave off no fumes. But the tank-top heater was a bit difficult to connect to the tank, and I just didn't like the design, from a safety standpoint. It had an automatic shut-off in case it tipped over, but I still didn't like the higher center of gravity on the tank, and the idea that the heater was physically connected to the tank. Also, the wiring from the thermocouple to the shut-off valve was just sort of hanging off to the side where it could be easily damaged. In fact, the thermocouple failed last Spring, but whether that was due to the wiring or to something else I don't know.

A few weeks ago, I went shopping for a new propane heater to replace the old tank-top that broke last Spring. I had been pretty pleased with the tank-top heater, and fully intended to just buy another one, until I saw the Mr. Heater MH9BX Portable Buddy propane heater.

Mr. Heater MH9BX Portable Buddy
The Portable Buddy had a lot of features that I really liked. It was a separate unit that attached to the propane tank with an adaptor hose, which meant that I could keep the tank outside of the tent if I wanted. It also had an electric ignitor, which wasn't available on the tank-top heater. It had an automatic shut-off in case of tip, like the tank-top model, but it also had a shut-off in case of low oxygen. And it was much easier to move around than the tank-top model. The Portable Buddy also had a more refined radiant panel, which provided a much quieter burn.

On the down-side, the Portable Buddy is nearly twice the price of the tank-top model, and it only offers 9K BTUs. That's only enough heat to raise the temperature in my tent by 20 degrees or so (compared to 30 degrees with the 15K BTU tank-top model). With only a 20 degree increase, the 9K BTUs will only get me into the low-60s on those cold November mornings in Virginia.

After scratching my head a bit, I decided to go ahead and try the Portable Buddy. I also purchased a 5' adaptor hose and decided to just leave the tank inside the tent for now (probably a mistake!) I've only used the heater a few times so far, but I like it a lot.The heater is nearly silent when it burns, and has a beautify orange glow that lights up my dark tent in the early morning. As the days get colder, I'll probably have to supplement the heater by burning my propane cook stove, too, which I occasionally do anyway. But the lower BTUs is more than compensated for by the improved safety over the tank-top model, which is a big advantage for me.

6 comments:

  1. David I only recently came upon your blog via an online friend who has followed you a while. I am readin back your older posts now.
    I am doodling how to start my blog now. Tons of ideas and never enough time! If you arent too far from culpeper I would love to perhaps meet up for lunch or at the library etc for a chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd be happy to meet you! I live 10 minutes from the town of Culpeper. Feel free to email me and we can go from there.

      Delete
  2. Hi David, Have read and enjoyed your blog for a long time but first time posting. I have 9 acres near Jonesville, NC that wife and I live on. It is rural but great area and good amenities nearby. Wanted to through it out there that we could offer an annual lease for you to set up here if ever interested if you're still looking for new spot. Thanks, Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian! Thanks so much for your support and for offering your land. That is very kind. I've been in Virginia since 1987 and find myself surrounded by friends and family now, so I plan to stick around here for at least the next few years, but who knows what the future may bring. In any case, I truly appreciate your kind offer, Brian.

      Delete
  3. David, I hope that you are snug in your tent tonight and warmed by the good vibes coming your way, like Brian's above. I own 2+ acres only and would gladly send you an acre if that were possible. Stay safe with your heating on this first coldest night of the year. Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts, Ronnie. Yeah, it's getting cold outside now. Woke up to mid-teens this morning! But all is well, and Mr. Heater Portable Buddy is performing well so far.

      Delete