Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bad Neighbors, The Conclusion


Okay, I’ll admit it, I’m not normal. I live in a tent. I don’t have electricity. I carry in water. I mean, come on! I realize that society can only tolerate so much deviation from the norm, and I’m one of those anomalies. The threads of our social fabric must remain more or less aligned, in a normal pattern, or the social structures that we all depend upon will weaken and tear. My lifestyle doesn’t fit well in society and that bothers some people, like Alan.

When Alan and I were talking that day, he tried to explain to me why tent living bothered him so much. "What if everybody lived that way?" he had asked. I knew the point he was trying to make. When he imagined millions and millions of people living simply, off the grid, largely removed from the economy, and unconcerned with property, he saw chaos.

"That’s not a fair question", I said, knowing full well where his imagination had already taken him. "Because I think it would be wonderful."

I’m abnormal, and therefore to some, I’m a threat. Many people in this country are afraid right now. It’s an uneasy time for us. We’re completely dependent upon our social institutions, and the systems that we’ve always depended upon for employment and protection have shown themselves to be fragile and weak. This generation is slowly waking up to the fact that our social institutions are not built of stone, but are built of cards. And we are all sitting on top of that house, having been told all our lives that is was the right thing to do.

If Alan lived in a more stable society, built upon a solid foundation, then I think he might be less fearful and more tolerant of people like me. He would know that nothing could possibly threaten his social order. But unfortunately the institutions in Alan’s world were built upon greed and the desire for power. In our society, it’s normal to take what you can, and unusual to give what you can. So I understand Alan’s concerns, and I still believe him to be a good person. And who knows, perhaps one day, if he can get his mind around it, he might decide to leave his fears behind, jump off his house of cards, and move into a tent! But before he does that, I’d have to warn him about the neighbors.

The End

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear what you have been going through, Dave. I just read your blog about the "people next door." You touch on several good points about society, law enforcement, and outright fear of those who live differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting experience. I used to live a very conventional lifestyle, so this is the first time I've experienced being judged this way. It's helped me see a lot of things more clearly.

      Delete
  2. Somebody entered your residence. Many folks have found themselves on the wrong end of a gun by doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a dangerous situation all the way around. I won't comment one any actions I've taken in the meantime to protect myself, except to say that it's change my attitudes about a lot of things, and caused me to reconsider much.

      Delete
  3. David, I hate to hear you calling yourself abnormal. Why would the standard lifestyle of today be considered normal? Read your own earlier posts about the idiocy of building wealth at all costs for useless possessions. :) Whose call is it what normal is anyway? Call yourself unconventional, if you must. Your choices are not to blame for any of this - not one single second. ~ Scout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scout. Yeah, I meant "abnormal" as in "not like most people". But hey, there's nothing wrong with that, right! :)

      Delete
  4. Great article David. Thanks for sharing this information. The best family tent


    ReplyDelete