Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Different Way to Search for Land

I plan to move to Rappahannock County, Virginia next Spring. It's the next county over from where I live now, just to the northwest. It's beautiful. The Blue Ridge Mountains occupy the western part of the county so there are plenty of clear streams, and mountain views everywhere you look. There's plenty of raw land, too, with only 8,000 or so people living in the county. It's a great place to live, and seems ideal for tent living.

I only decided upon Rappahannock County a few weeks after conducting a more general land search last July. I ran the usual craigslist ad and put the word out on Facebook. I got the usual interesting responses and met some new people. I even had an offer to stay on some property in West Virginia, but that didn't work out. During that search, a couple of Facebook friends mentioned Sperryville, Virginia, which is in Rappahannock County. I had always liked Sperryville, so when my friend, Darlene, mentioned that she had met a lot of interesting people at The Headmaster's Pub in Sperryville, I decided to go check it out.

Following her advice, I went to the Headmaster's Pub that next weekend and immediately realized that Sperryville was my kind of place. The people there are great and it was easy to make new friends. I go there nearly every Friday now, and at some point I'm sure that I'll make a connection that leads me to land.

I've tried the craigslist approach three different times now. Each time it's been somewhat fruitful, and has led me to some interesting people, but I've yet to find land that way. On the other hand, I've had good success finding land by getting the word out to friends. So from here on out, I'm giving up on advertising to the general public. And now that I've decided upon Rappahannock County, I'm going to keep hanging out at Headmaster's Pub, meet some new friends, and wait for that certain sequence of events that leads me to my new home.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave, Hal Taylor here (Wendy's husband) I live near Luray, just across the mountain from Sperryville and have 47 acres on a mountain side with a good many large trees. You are more than welcome to camp out here as long as you like. The land is rugged and quite steep in places and only moderately steep in others I have been looking at certain groups of trees around the property and have been thinking about building a good sized tree house! Now, there's an idea for you! I have a couple places with easy access to water. Come on out for a visit! Hal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Hal. Good to hear from you. It's been a long time. Hope all is well with you, and thanks for the offer. We should get together sometime soon. I'm curious to know how your housing project is going, too. I'll contact Wendy on Facebook and see if we can put something together.

      Delete