Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Skunks

I had my first close encounter with a skunk last night. Fortunately, it wasn't so close that I got sprayed.

I had just fallen asleep when I was awakened by small foot steps coming down my path. I realized from the sound that it was just a small animal. I figured it was a opossum since they occasionally snoop around my tent. I got up and grab my flashlight and shined it toward the noise.

It was a momma skunk and her three kits marching toward my tent in single-file, with momma in the lead. They were just a foot or two from my front steps by the time I got to the door. Cute, cute, cute!

Momma didn't mind the light at all and just kept right on coming, with the three kits following close behind. I made a loud "Pssst! Pssst!" noise, which stopped momma in her tracks and caused the kits to sort of bump into her back side. For a moment, they were just a cuddly bundle of black and white confusion as momma tried to figure out her next move. She turned left then right then left then around and back a few steps then started to approach the tent again. I did the "Pssst! Pssst!" again, and this time she decided to retreat altogether as she turned away and headed back down the path the way she had come. The kits tagged right along behind her, and within a few steps they were all in single-file again, marching down the path the way they had come.

I don't know whether they would have climbed the steps into the tent, but I closed the door just in case. I'll probably start sleeping with the door closed now, at least for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. lol. Those skunks are cute until they, well, aren't any more. Since starting to live outside with my dogs in Spring of 2013, I've had several skunk encounters. Even after one "pitter-pattered" over my bed one night, (by that time my dogs had been sprayed a few times), I still felt a fondness for the darn critters. Until a rabid one chased one of my dogs into my tent and sprayed. I'm ot so fond of them anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Yeah, that's a little too much. I'm glad the didn't spray during my encounter. They're cute...but...

      Delete