Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hurricane Lamps

I don't have electricity at my place so I light with oil lamps and candles. I have three table-top oil lamps the two hanging hurricane lamps.

I bought my first hurricane lamps from a local department store. They cost around $6 each. They'd work well for awhile, but then they'd always fail. (What do you expect for six bucks, right?) I'd usually get two or three months use out of them, and then they'd start leaking or the fuel caps would strip out or the wick mechanism would break.

I had such bad luck with those cheap hurricane lamps that I sort of just gave up on them. But a few weeks ago, I decided to break down and buy some high-quality hurricane lamps that would last for many years.

After doing a little research, I decided on the Dietz #1 "Little Wizard" lantern. It's pretty short (12" high) so I can hang it from ceiling, and it holds 36 ozs of fuel, which gives a 40+ hour burn time. The Dietz Company has been making oil lamps and lanterns since the 1840s and has a great reputation.

The "Little Wizard" seemed like the perfect lantern, so I bought two!

Dietz Brand #1 "Little Wizard" Oil Lanterns
New hurricane lamps hanging from the ceiling



3 comments:

  1. There is something very comforting about a good lamp, takes me back to my Boy Scout days....sitting around a latern (or campfire) telling stories and jokes. You picked a great brand.

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's something that I still enjoy. I've been lighting my place with lamps and candles since I started living this way a few years ago, and I still look around the tent and smile to myself when it's dark outside and my place is glowing from all the small flames. Such a nice way to light up a dark room.

      Delete