Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why a Wall Tent?

The idea of owning a portable house is very appealing to me. It frees me from having to own land and allows me to rent land instead. And full home ownership and portability meet two of my main requirements for housing. So I began searching for ideas on portable housing.

And a great way to get some ideas is to do a Google Image search for "portable housing"! Wow! (Give it a try, seriously!) I spent hours looking through the images. Running through the various pros and cons in my mind. Imagining what it would be like to actually live in some of those structures.

As I browsed and let my imagination go, I found myself attracted to one type of structure in particular: the tipi.

Tipi

I just couldn't get away from the idea of living in a tipi! It's very portable, very economical, and to me it's very aesthetically appealing. And the more I thought about a fabric house, the more I liked it! From a maintenance standpoint, I could just replace the outer fabric every few years for a few hundred dollars and a few hours work. And the lack of insullation was both good and bad. It meant that I would stay very close to nature, hearing the morning song birds and evening raindrops (which I love!) and that I would immediately feel Winter's cold and Summer's heat (which is not so good)

But the tipi has some design problems. The opening at the top means that rain will enter and heat will leave. And the inside space is less than ideal for the human form. What was needed was a sealed roof, straighter walls, and a lower ceiling. Something like...a yurt!

Yurt
Now we're talking! (And I sure do like the idea of an actual door!) But man, those yurt kits sure are expensive for what you get. And building one is kinda tricky with everything being round and all. Even building the circular platform seemed more complicated than it needed to be. Too bad it's not all square like...a wall tent!

Wall tent
Yep, a wall tent. A square tipi with straight walls, a sealed roof, and a low ceiling. I'll take it!

6 comments:

  1. which wall tent did you purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the Wilderness tent. I got a 12' x 14' with all the treatments (water, mildew, and fire). Also got the extra angle brakets (for 4 rafter system), and had them install a stove jack in the back wall because I didn't want to run my stove pipe through the roof! I bought mine online from http://www.walltentshop.com/canvaswalltents.htm I'm very pleased with it.

      Delete
    2. awesome, that's the one I've been keenly eyeing lately. I've gained quite a lot of knowledge about wall tents reading your blog (like the philosophy posts too). Wall Tent Shop looks like a solid choice as of right now. Overall, are you happy with the tarp fly, or would ou suggest going with the canvas one?

      Delete
    3. I'm very happy with my poly tarp. In fact, I'll need to replace it very soon (it's nearly three years old and got beat-up this Winter), and I think I'll buy the exact same type again. It's a heavy duty (6oz) poly tarp. I got a 20' x 30', which you can easily find for under $150 (check out http://www.tarpsplus.com/). That means under $50 per year for a roof. I'll take it! Also, it's important to think about the amount of overhang you want. I like a lot (thus, the 20x30 fly over a 12x14 tent). I've never had any problem with water coming into the tent. And I have a sort of "wrap-around fly" so I can store things outside right next to the tent (like firewood) and keep things dry. And while I love the aesthetics of a canvas tarp, I'm concern about them holding up as well (note that I've never actually tried one, so I could be all wrong here). I'm apprehensive about things like rot, and perhaps mice chewing holes, stuff like that. Natural fibers often suffer at my place. Also, canvas is much heavier (typically 16oz or so) and twice as expensive. So while canvas is my aesthetic choice, poly is my practical choice.

      Delete