Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Housing Requirements

In September of 2011, for a number of reasons, I found myself faced with a pressing problem. My life had taken some unexpected turns, as life does, and I was faced with the problem of having to find a home. I had a fairly stable job, so money wasn't a big problem. And the place where I was staying at the time was available for a few more months, so I had a bit of time to sort things out. But I was going to have to make a move pretty quickly, so I set about finding my new home.

My first thoughts were to push the problem down the road a little by becoming a room mate, or by renting a small place. But as I looked at those types of options, it became clear that I would be spending a lot of money to live in pretty undesirable conditions. I decided that I needed to step back and think through this problem.

What was I really looking for? What was important to me?

After some soul-searching, I came up with a list of considerations for my new home. I asked myself, "What would my dream home look like?", and this is what I came up with:
  • I own it. I own my home, like I own my truck or my clothes. No banks. No debt.
  • I design it. My home is very personal, and must be designed to meet my personal needs.
  • Portable. I have to be able to move to different locations as my life changes.
  • Low maintenance. All homes need maintenance, but maintenance is a cost, and such costs should be minimized.
  • Economical to operate. In terms of utilities and internal systems.
  • Relatively easy to acquire. I have three young granddaughters. Someday soon they will be solving their own housing problems. Maybe my new home can give them some ideas.
  • Healthy. Both in terms of impact to the environment, and lifestyle of the occupants.
  • Aesthetically appealing. According to my personal tastes.

2 comments:

  1. David, I grew op in an ocean front town called Ocean Grove, NJ. Their is a unique tent community there that looks like it was modeled off of Adirondack tent camps. This community is so popular that quite along waiting list exists for a rrental. Although these are seasonable units, being two blocks from the ocean has many advantages and folks grow their famous Jersey tomatoes on their porches. If you google Ocean Grove tent community you will find plenty of pictures that will reinforce your housing decision choices for many reasons. I currently live in Western NC and have a second home in the Adirondack Park of NY. I have a nice camp up there , two bedrooms 1-1/2 baths in the forest and 3-1/2 minutes to the conveniences of town . I have a electric well on the property and am thinking of a seasonable tent camp might be just the ticked for me as it is secluded and the main house could be rented for the summer giving me additional income or rent out the tent camp for couples without children. My son is in a similar situation looking for lodging while he works in Wilderness Education.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Richard.

      Thank you so much for posting this. I just spent the last 30 mins Googling Ocean Grove tents. I read about how and why it was founded, viewed a number of photos, and watched a great YouTube video tour. Thank you! Thank you! I've always dreamed of living in such a community, with like-minded tenters :) That's one downside of my currnet lifestyle...it can be lonely out in the woods. While a community of tents would be wonderful, I think.

      I like your idea of setting up a tent on your property in NY. Reminds me of a tent B&B that I ran into in Idaho at http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/bb/wall-tents.asp

      Anyway, best of luck, and please stay in touch!

      Dave

      Delete