Thursday, April 26, 2012

I Live in a Tent

I live in a tent. It's a 12' x 14' canvas wall tent, and I've been living this way since November of 2011. How I came to this lifestyle is a long story, woven with threads that reach back throughout my life.

For the first time in my life, my home and lifetyle reflect many of the values that I hold dear, and that's a wonderful feeling. But there's a cost that comes with this lifestyle, too. Life is full of trade-offs, and we each get to choose the trades that we make. I've been fortunate that I've been able to choose tent living, a lifestyle that fits my personal needs and desires.

My front door



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome write-up! thanks for the advice. I'm looking to move into a wall tent this next summer for many of the ecological and economical reasons you mention. Trying to hunt down tips on doing so and you're blog is extremely helpful. I'm curious about the effectiveness of some of these treated tent fabrics (sunforger) for waterproofing. I see you have gone to the trouble to tarp over your tent. Do you have a treated canvas and are tarping in addition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andy! Happy to hear that you're considering tent living! I wish you all the best in you upcoming adventure.

      Yes, my canvas was treated with Sunforger (as well as a flame and mildew retardant), but I really glad that I hung the rain fly in addition to that. The ploy tarp gave me piece of mind during periods of long, soaking rains, and the overhang provided me with a sort of "walk-around porch" all the way around my tent. Those were important benefits, but even more importantly, the tarp provided me with much needed shade during Summer. I hung the tarp about a foot above the canvas so that air could circulate. It served as an enormous umbrella, keeping the direct Summer sun from reaching my canvas. That made a huge difference in Summer, which for me was the most challenging season. I could always stay warm in Winter, but I was often uncomfortable in Summer, and without the rain fly, I would have roasted!

      If you do decide to hang a rain fly, please be sure that absolutely *no* part of it is in direct contact with the canvas. I wasn't so careful in the beginning and lost some small areas of my canvas to rot as moisture was trapped between the tarp and canvas.

      Hope this helps, and good luck, Andy!

      Delete