Thursday, November 7, 2013

Candle Making

I don't have electricity at my place so I light with oil lamps and candles. Candles never completely burn. They always leave behind remnants of wax after the wick is gone. I gather up these pieces after each candle and, from time to time, melt them all down into new candles.

I have a small pan dedicated to candle making so I don't worry about melted wax spoiling the pan.

Melting wax chips
I always burn candles in small containers so that the wax doesn't drip onto my table tops. I use these same containers as candle molds.


Candle molds
Once the wax is melted, I pour it into the molds. I use a sieve to remove any debris, like old wicks, and insects that flew into the old candles. I let the candles cool just long enough to form a thin layer of hardened wax on the top and bottom, which holds the new wick in place.

Cooling the wax and inserting the wicks
Here's the finished product in use, lighting up my bathroom.

2 comments:

  1. Another good use for leftover candle ends is mixing the melted wax with sawdust and pouring into cardboard egg cartons. These make excellent firestarters. It works much better to get a charcoal chimney going than requirements documentation. ;-)

    ReplyDelete